Let's face it; sports in this era are often over-analyzed. More over, the outcome of so many sporting events are often predicted quite extensively. Most weeks, the winner of any given NFL game is chosen 3 times on NFL.com, at least 10 times on ESPN.com. Meanwhile, each of the major networks carrying weekly games offer predictions for roughly 5 games.One thing few people are talking about now are head coaches. There is continued speculation about the Buffalo Bills, however, I doubt that anyone would be willing to sign with that organization until we have a clearer picture of what other openings will be available. There are two names being tossed around the NFL right now. I have a theory as to where each will end up, as well as a prediction as to who will be wearing the headset in Buffalo next year.
Mike Shanahan
Bills fans would love to see Shanahan on the sidelines at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Unfortunately, they never will. This tenured coach has the luxury of being able to sit back and let jobs come to him, and I expect him to take a team with a little more potential for immediate success. In fact, I have developed a theory about which team that will be. Picture this, after years of empty promises and mediocre results I expect to see Lovie Smith to lose his job in Chicago. Imagine how heartwarming a scene it will be when Shanahan is reunited with the young quarterback he began developing in Denver. Conspiracy theorists eat your hearts out, in the upcoming offseason this dram will fill the void that the Favre Saga has filled the last two years.
Charlie Weis
I don't have quite as much to say about Weis. I have made some observations though. He seems to love the spotlight. Initially, he soaked up the prestige of the ND head coaching job and even when he's facing scrutiny he seems to love the bright lights and cameras. So what could possibly be a better place for him than the Big Apple?
His relationship with the Patriots will keep him from wearing green and white, but there is speculation that the New York football Giants will be looking for an OC next year. Don't be surprised if you see this guy side by side with Eli Manning.
The Buffalo Bills
Now, for this flourishing franchise I have an interesting theory. Once Dick Jauron was fired we began to hear alot of big names floating around, including the likes of Billick, Cowher and Shanahan. I don't think that Buffalo has the type of talent, money, media market or climate to draw a high caliber coach in like that. I strongly believe that this position will be held by someone who is currently coaching in the NFL. I expect to see someone get fired before finding a new home in Buffalo.
Who is the primary candidate for this job? I would say that it is probably John Fox. Unfortunately for Fox, a supposed franchise quarterback and poor front office management have quenched his coaching potential. Since someone besides the owner must take the blame, I think you will hear an announcement shortly after week 17 that Fox has been let go. This may work to the benefit of the Bills, because the misfortune that has led to Fox's lack of production should make him affordable. Ralph Wilson loves affordable. John Fox's next contract will be drawn up in Canadian Loonies, not US Dollars.

No comments:
Post a Comment